On Monday 3rd December, Arrow Video are set to release a newly restored version of Lucio Fulci’s controversial horror masterpiece ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS on Blu-ray, DVD and Limited Edition Steelbook.
Hailing from the now infamous “Video Nasty” era of horror films, Zombie Flesh Eaters became an unstoppable cult hit upon its release in 1979. The film divided opinion across the globe and came up against opposition in many territories for the sheer amount of bloody content and its high gore-factor.
The original cut of Zombie Flesh Eaters was banned in the UK upon release, and the film that appeared in cinemas was an edited version with a full 2 minutes of brutality stripped out to get past the classification board. These new high definition restored editions contain the full unedited film, as Fulci made them to be seen.
Painstakingly restored from the original camera negative, ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS stands-out as one of the famed distributor’s biggest ever (and best looking) restoration projects. This landmark horror release contains a wealth of special features, additional collector’s material, and never-before-seen extras including optional English / Italian opening titles, a UK exclusive introduction to the film from lead actor Ian McCulloch, plus a number of brand new featurettes.
Extras on the discs are listed as follows...
- A brand new HD restoration of the original negative with optional English and Italian opening titles
- Optional English SDH subtitles for English audio / a new English subtitles translation for Italian audio
- Optional original, restored Italian and English Mono 2.0 audio
- Audio commentary with screenwriter Elisa Briganti, moderated by Calum Waddell
- Audio commentary with Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
- UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
- “ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR” – Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy - ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
- “FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM” – Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) plus many more share memories of the genesis of corpse -crunching cinema - from Romero's early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors.
- “THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO DE ROSSI” – The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats - and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks - including ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II.
- “ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS - FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN” – Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay.
- Trailers and TV spots
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower, a new interview with star Olga Karlatos by Calum Waddell, a history of Zombie Flesh Eaters and the BBFC by Craig Lapper , one of the board’s senior examiners, and extracts of the original ‘Nightmare Island’ 1978 script including unfilmed, alternate, and more gory sequences as well as a Lucio Fulci CV compiled by Jay Slater.
Buy the DVD at Amazon.co.uk
Buy the Blu-Ray at Amazon.co.uk
Buy the Blu-Ray Steelbook at Amazon.co.uk