Nature bites back in Director Colin Eggleston's cult 1978 Aussie horror "Long Weekend", which comes to UK BD this month from Second Sight.
A bickering couple go away for a weekend break to a remote beach, causing all manner of mayhem along the way. Starting bush fires by casually tossing cigarette ends out of their car window, running over kanagroos because they can't be bothered to look where they're driving, hacking down trees to clear more space for their camp, tossing litter everywhere and even shooting a manatee, after mistaking it for a shark.
But it seems this beach has a way of dealing with unwanted campers who pollute the countryside, as the couple subsequently find themselves fending off constant animal attacks and freak weather, as mother nature closes in around them
Starring John Hargreaves (Country Life) and Briony Behets (TVs Prisoner Cell Block H), Long Weekend is a bit of a slow burner, taking its time to build up tension slowly and is by no means an action film, but is still very compelling and an interesting slice of 1970s Ozploitation horror
This release from Second Sight marks the first time the disc has been available on Blu-Ray in the UK and comes with the following special features
- Audio Commentary track with Executive Producer Richard Brennan and Cinematographer Vincent Monton
- "Nature Found Them Guilty" featurette – Panel Discussion with Film Historians Lee Gambin, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Emma Westwood and Sally Christie
- Uncut "Not Quite Hollywood" interviews. Extended interviews with Everett De Roche, Briony Behets and Vincent Monton originally recorded for the 2008 documentary "Not Quite Hollywood".
- Audio Interview with Actor John Hargreaves. Conducted in 1995, prior to the actors death, accompanied by stills from the film.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
Long Weekend is released to UK Blu-Ray November 5th from Second Sight films.
Pre-order the UK BD from Amazon.co.uk